DNA Points is the plague's "currency", which is required to evolve. It is earned by infecting/killing people and popping bubbles (except for Cure bubbles, unless Catalytic Switch is active). You can sometimes gain points for devolving. For each trait that has been purchased, the cost to evolve traits increases by 1 in a section (the cost to evolve traits will increase over time in Mega Brutal, even if there are no traits evolved because Genetic drift impacts evolution). The gene Sympto-Stasis neutralizes this effect at the cost of being cured easier. If the Unlimited Strain cheat is enabled, you will have infinite DNA points when you start the game.
DNA income can be increased with certain genes as listed below and some genes will either increase or decrease the DNA costs of Abilities, Symptoms or Transmission.
Prices for evolving can range from as little as 1 to as high as over 100 (Mega Brutal only).
DNA-giving genes Edit
The following Genes will, if added to the Genetic Code, give extra DNA points in varying ways. They must be discovered before becoming available for use.
- ATP Boost - Get bonus DNA at the beginning
- Cytochrome Surge - Get more DNA from popping orange, DNA bubbles
- Metabolic Jump - Get more DNA from popping red, biohazard bubbles
- Catalytic Switch - Get bonus DNA from popping blue, cure bubbles
- Metabolic Hijack - Orange and red bubbles are automatically popped
- Ionised Helix - Bonus DNA when devolving
- Latent Catalyst - Get DNA when a Gen-Sys lab is destroyed (Exclusive to Simian Flu)
- ATP Overdose - Bonus DNA at start but costs significantly more to devolve (Exclusive to Simian Flu)
- Together Strong - Increases DNA from colonies (Exclusive to Simian Flu)
DNA cost-modifying genes Edit
These genes modify the DNA cost of most abilities in different ways. They must, again, be discovered before they can be used.
- Translesion + - Costs to devolve don't increase
- Sympto-Stasis - Symptom costs don't increase but easier to cure
- Trans-Stasis - Transmission costs don't increase but easier to cure
- Patho-Stasis - Ability costs don't increase but easier to cure
- Spliced Activation - Active abilities cost less DNA to use (Exclusive to Necroa Virus)
- Ion Deficit - Costs more to devolve but harder to cure (Exclusive to Simian Flu)
- Ion Surge - Costs less to devolve but easier to cure (Exclusive to Simian Flu)