The logo of the Simian Flu expansion pack
$1.99USD, can be unlocked by beating Necroa Virus (brutal)
July 10, 2014 (mobile)
This plague type is based on the ALZ-113 virus in the Rise of the Planet of the Apes series of movies, which was lethal to humans but boosted intelligence in apes, eventually leading them to rebel against their captors and form their own society. It is a genetically modified virus created in a Gen-Sys lab. One special ability is making apes attack Gen-Sys labs to save apes from being used in traumatic research experiments, counteracting cure development in the process. Apes can also form colonies to garner DNA points, and further improve their cognitive abilities. Apes can also be moved to avoid being detected and killed by military drones.
It resulted in a partnership with 20th Century Fox, the film company who sponsored the Rise of the Planet of The Apes franchise.
The Simian Flu behaves similarly to its Necroa Virus counterpart. However, instead of transitioning from one host type to another, two host types coexist at the same time. The Flu is lethal in humans, but massively increases intelligence in apes, and also endows them with green irises. Gen-Sys, an enemy similar to Z Com or WHO in Shadow Plague, will at first study the apes to develop a cure from their research.
However, if the plague is cured before the human population is sufficiently low enough for apes to become the dominant species on the planet, the player will lose. To win the game, the player must increase lethality in humans alongside abilities for apes, so that the apes will slow the cure and survive long enough to outlast the humans. It costs 4 DNA points in game to devolve traits. It also adds ten new genes.
Please see Simian Flu Strategy Guides.
Stages of InfectionEdit
- If one looks at the stages of infection, they may notice that, over time, the human gradually begins to suffer from symptoms of the Simian Flu, such as nose bleeding and blood red eyes, while the ape will begin to stand more erectly and gain green irises during infection. Apes also wear war paint in the final stage of infection.
- Four achievements were released for Plague Inc.: Apes will Rise!, Not Just a Pretty Face, Film Fanatic and Great EscApe. In Plague Inc: Evolved, they were formerly unobtainable due to them being in-game before Simian Flu came out.
- In the movie, Gen-Sys created ALZ-113 as an enhanced version of their ALZ-112 retrovirus to help keep patients from eventually resisting its curative effect. ALZ-112 is never mentioned in the game.
- The ape on the logo of this disease type is modeled after Caesar, a character from the films.
- The Simian Flu is the only plague type in the game with lethal Tier 2 symptoms.
- Despite its name, Simian Flu is not known to be related in any way to Influenza.
- The flu was the result of finding a way to cure Alzheimer's Disease.
- The Virus was created unintentionally by Dr. William Rodman, a employer of Gen-Sys.
- The first person to be infected was Robert Franklin, another employer of Gen-Sys.
- The logo of the Simian Flu Expansion Pack is Caesar, the leader of the apes from Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
|Standard Plague Types|
| Special Plagues|
|Neurax Worm||Necroa Virus||Simian Flu||Shadow Plague|